Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

"Log In" Education Style


Hey all!  So this week in class we started talking a lot about what higher education is all about.  I found this video and thought it was pretty engaging so I though I'd share it with you all!  The difference between brick and mortar universities (like Madison) and online universities like the one portrayed in the video is a good example of what we are trying to get at in this blog.  This difference is demonstrating old ways versus new ways within education.

I love the education I am getting right now.  I love this university and the beat of the city, but I do agree with many of the concerns that students and adults like have about higher education today.  I am paying my own way through school, so will be one of those young adults that are in huge debt by the time they graduate college.  Also, I work and am in two student orgs apart from my everyday school schedule, so I'm not one to take 18 credits a semester.  I know that everyone is different and that everyone's lives are busy, so this is keeping us from graduating in 4 years, unlike how common that was years back.  Because graduation isn't as fast as a process anymore, that adds on more tuition and housing costs.  This is just one concern that is circling around about higher education right now, and it just so happens to hit home in my personal situation.

As far as online education goes, I don't know how I would successful I personally would be.  I think it depends on what you want out of your time spent going to a higher education school, what kind of learner you are, and where you are in life.  Going to college as a young person like myself, I want more of an experience than just learning the specific things I need to start my career.  I want to learn about culture, experience new things, and find myself in a city I've never lived in before.  If I was only concerned about learning specific skills needed to start my career, I would have chosen a different route, maybe even online.  This is my personal view on the difference between online and traditional education and how I think it effects people.  All in all, I think online education is a good idea if that is what fits your needs.  I think it's awesome that a person has the option of what kind of education to get, so that they are able to chose something that will fit their wants and needs.

How do you all feel about online versus traditional education?  Please comment, I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment