Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Next in Line!

   
     So, registration for summer and fall classes is right around the corner.  Since I just recently claimed my major I thought it would be a good idea to take a summer class to get on track with my program.  While looking through the classes being offered over the summer, I found that there is an online course I need for my major.  This class is usually really hard to get into during the school year so I've decided to take it.  I've never taken an online class before so this is completely new to me, and makes me a little nervous.
     I know this might sound weird that I'm nervous about taking an online class, but I truly have no idea what to expect.  I'm used to brick and mortar setting and having to wake up to walk to class every day.  Now, I just have to turn my computer on to view material, and take quizzes, and do my assignment, and take exams!?  This all sounds crazy to me, especially the part about quizzes and exams online.  This is the first time in my life I've felt behind the curve in new innovations.  Education has changed with technology and hasn't effected me until this very day.
     I've been writing about education and technology for all my posts so far on this blog, and thought that this coincidence in my life recently would be a good way to bring up another point on how technology has effected education.  I wrote about online education in my last post, but there is a different aspect I realized about registration that I thought I would share with you all.  Remember in high school when you had to go stand in a big long line for registration.  You'd walk up to the counter, get your packet of information, stand in line to get your picture taken, get your id, and then walk out.  In college we apply, register, and set up orientation online.
     Also, as far as classes are concerned I remember when my guidance counselor made my schedule for me.  Those days seem like the stone age to me now.  But, then my junior year of high school the scheduling system changed to the students making their own schedules.  This was the biggest deal in the world to my 16  year old self.  I had no idea how to make my own schedule.  Looking through classes and figuring out which time slots worked for me, and what classes I needed to take, and what classes I wanted to take was the hardest process in the entire world back then.
     Now, students have to make their own schedules whether they like it or not.  Yes, we have advisors who will help us if we need the help, but at the end of the day it's our responsibility to figure out how we are going to get to take all the classes we need to in order to graduate.  Having to create my own schedule online is easy, yes stressful, but like second nature to me now and I'm only a sophomore.  Even the tiny process of registering for school and classes has changed so much since technology has made its way into the education system. 

How do you remember registration and scheduling before college!?
    

1 comment:

  1. There are great references online like this one that can offer us reliable information about the importance of our technology in keeping us updated regarding several concerns about online education.

    ReplyDelete