Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Modern Engagement

Hey everyone! Today I will be talking about a trend that I have been noticing in my own life: weddings. It doesn't apply to me yet, and most likely doesn't to many of you either, the digitizing of much of the wedding process has caught my attention. My cousin got engaged over winter break, and I was recently invited to view the happy couple's website. Some may find this conceited, but I think it's great.

Weddings are traditionally very costly and elaborate affairs, but some of that cost can be cut out by digitizing part of the process. For instance, I've always though save-the-dates were a waste of paper, but having a website with the wedding's information eliminates that need. Even if physical invitations are sent, the website cuts down the information that needs to be included, thus saving money.

But even more than the monetary benefits, I love the idea of a wedding website because it allows guests to get to know more about what they're actually celebrating. My cousin's site includes small bios for each of the wedding party, explaining how fit into the life of the bride and groom. There are also extensive bios for both bride and groom, which is great for getting to know the side of the bridal party you've never met. It's a lot more pleasant to attend a party when you're not completely ignorant of half the guests.

The site also includes details about the rehearsal dinner, ceremony, reception, and honeymoon, as well as providing helpful lodging and travel information. The bride was even able to contact several hotels and other lodging options and secure reduced rates for guests, making it easier for all the people the couple wants to be there to be able to.

Although marriage seems veryveryvery far away for me, I hope this digitizing trend continues. God knows I have enough expenses to deal with as it is!

~Morgen~

1 comment:

  1. I think this is brilliant, I actual wasn't familiar with this trend until I read this piece. I am mean it is a cool way to cut cost but I agree it's more than that its efficient.

    I think the internet is changing romantic relationships both pre and post marriage. I've read several articles and watched news stories about people getting to know each other on Facebook before ever going out. Not to mention all the YouTube Videos of couples doing this challenge or another. Or even couples meeting via YOUTUBE or Couples with a channel dishing out relationship advice.

    It's quite interesting the effects new media is having on relationships. It's one of those things I wouldn't have predicted. Newspapers moving online yes I could see that but couples going digital I wouldn't have guessed it. I suppose its partially a result of the new technology melting into society and the blurring of the line between public and private sector.

    ReplyDelete