Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Tweets All Around




     So, this school year has opened my eyes to a bunch of connections between new media and technologies and education.  The most surprising connection I have been affected by is education and Twitter. 
     One of my professors first semester made the first connection I've seen between education and Twitter by setting up a Twitter for the class itself.  As he instructed lectures he had his Twitter feed rolling and every once in awhile we would see little tweets pop up in the top, left hand corner.  This was so weird to me at first and I didn't really understand what the point was.  But, now that I have a Twitter and am literally on it ALL the time (because of the Twitter app on my phone obviously) I completely understand why he did this.  What an easy way to keep students updated and get them the information that they need.  I check my Twitter way more than I check my e-mail and if someone wants to remind me of something or tell me something really quicky there is no easier way than tweeting at me.  Like I said, this was the first connection I was introduced to.
     Second, I have found that for anything that one is trying to publicize, Twitter is the way to go.  Making a Twitter page for student orgs, class projects, and anything else you are trying to get the word out for is an amazing idea.  For the two student orgs that I'm in there are Twitter pages for both of them and are very active.  Whenever we have any events coming up that we want people to know about, tweeting is the best way to go about it!  I know that people on this campus are very connected in thousands of ways and they might not even know it themselves, so one tweet can do a lot.
     When I finally got a Twitter this year I had no idea what I was getting into.  Now, I have been submerged into this world of online connections that have never existed before.  I think it's awesome that education has found its way into the world of Twitter.  Professors that really want to stay in touch with their students and keep them updated are geniuses to use Titter as their means of doing so.  I commend organizations and professors for figuring out that Twitter is an amazing way to connect with people around campus before I did.  Bravo!

2 comments:

  1. I am pretty new to the Twitter world. I never understood all the hype, but I have to say I highly recommend it to anyone who likes to be up to date on anything and everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is great that professors are starting to use twitter to communicate with their students. Most of the time when professors contact students it is a short email and it could easily to translate to a tweet. After reading your post, I also thought that maybe twitter could be used in lecture by having the professor have a twitter feed shown during lecture and students could tweet questions to the professor as he is lecturing if they would like clarification on something.

      Delete