Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Remakes, Tons of Them!

Alright so this is post is kind of cynical, and it's going to be a lot of me complaining about the amount of movie remakes. Although I feel like my complaint is at least somewhat warranted, I'm sorry if it doesn't come off really upbeat. I just can't help but notice all of the remakes that are hitting the box office. I mean Titanic in 3D, 21 Jump Street, The Three Stooges, Mirror Mirror, along with a few coming in the Summer like Total Recall and The Amazing Spider-Man. Admittedly, I'm pretty excited to see Andrew Garfield swinging on web and spitting snarky comments at bad guys. However, I still think I'm seeing too many remakes. Why can't the original be good enough? When I saw the trailer for the Three Stooges I thought that it looked ridiculous. Because everyone knows that a remake of the Three Stooges will hit it out of the park with a compelling story and great characters. Or just maybe it won't.

When you decide to make a remake you are instantly entering the movie into comparison with the original. Nostalgia can be very powerful and hard to overcome at times. There will always be fans who criticize it for not being like the original. Right now, I kind of agree with the nostalgic fans for a lot of these remakes. It's not exactly easy to come up with an original idea that will capture audiences, but we all know it's been done a lot. So I think filmmakers should cut back on the remakes. I don't mind if the universe of the movie is based off of an older movie. That can actually turn out pretty sweet. But they need to stop trying to recapture the success of the original with the same version, just with better CGI. What about you guys? Are you getting annoyed with all the remakes or do you want more?

No comments:

Post a Comment